Totaal aantal pageviews

vrijdag, oktober 29, 2004

"If the world is enchanted, by definition it must have a voice, because a chant is made by a voice, and so for enchanted living we need to hear voices. Modern rationality blanches at the idea of taking 'voices' seriously, and we diagnose people who hear voices as emotionally disturbed or mentally ill. I've worked with several people who have heard voices and other sounds, but the truth is, I have too. Once in a while I will be lying in bed and suddenly hear my name called out sharply. I may wake up and wonder who is there. Occassionally in waking life I'll hear a voice or a sound, and I won't be able to tell whether the sound was physical or psychological.

"I need silence to hear the intuitions that pass by, like angels on their vaporous footpath, making soft, barely perceptible sounds. Rarely does a new idea come along orchestrated for trumpets. The vibraphone is a good instrument for the soul, or panpipes, or the Celtic harp. The most important sounds in a person's life may be so quiet that they are easily missed. In the noise of life you may not notice an invitation to a new career or a marriage, and you may be distracted when out of the air a message comes that a new home is waiting for you.

(from Re-Enchantment of Daily Life by Thomas Moore)

Geen opmerkingen: